About Me

Philadelphia, Pa, United States

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chef in Training: Nutella Puppy Chow


I am getting back in shape and beginning to train for the broad street run in Philadelphia ..a very easy 10miler this will be my third year doing it. I took off last year to run the American Oddyssey Run a 200 mile relay from gettysburg to Washington DC. I would like to do the Philadelphia half and then follow up with the DC marathon next spring. My whole point is that cooking/baking all these delishh treats isnt working for my summer bod so I have been donating my treats to my Unit, and they have been loving it ...win/win. I get to cook & bake and I dont let it sit around my house awaiting me and C gorging in the late night hours. This was probably the most popular recently. A little messy with the confectioners sugar, but overall very quick, very easy and you probably already have most of the ingredients. My central PA peeps introduced me to puppy chow and if you have not heard of it yet----- keep reading because it is not actual kibbles n bits.




NUTELLA PUPPY CHOW
recipe from: Healthy Tasty Chow
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup Nutella
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips (use semi-sweet or dark, milk would be far too sweet and you’d lose the chocolate flavor)
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
  • 2/3 cup hazelnuts
  • 13 cups (more or less) or one 12oz box of hearty wheat/corn/rice cereal like Crispix or Chex – try to find a hearty version so it doesn’t break down when stirring
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
In a 350 degree preheated oven, roast hazelnuts until fragrant and light brown, about 8 minutes
Allow to cool and remove as much of the skin as you can with a towel
Grind up hazelnuts finely in a food processor
Put the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
In a pan over medium-low heat, melt butter, chocolate, and white chocolate, stirring constantly.
When all is melted, remove from heat and add Nutella and stir until mixed in, then add hazelnuts and stir well.
Slowly pour over cereal.
Stir with your hands! (make sure they are clean first!) It is MUCH easier than with a spoon. It may take some time since the the batter is thick.
Dump into a gallon size zip-lock bag and pour in powdered sugar. Start out with a little and add more as needed. You don't want them TOO coated with powdered sugar because they will end up tasting to sweet. Zip up the back and shake it until they are coated.
Enjoy!


Thank you to Chef in Training blog for introducing this recipe to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment